How to Wear Womens Oxford Shoes
Oxfords are set to enjoy another season in the spotlight. These classic shoes continue to make an appearance on runways and celebrities. It is time to take the look mainstream and try out one of the featured shoes.
Thanks to singer Janelle Monae and her music videos (and a host of fashion designers), the classic oxford is firmly back in the spotlight. Oxfords are inspired by a man's dress shoe but can be worn even if you are an ultra-feminine girly girl. The simple oxford is also a great transitional piece to take you into the fall season in style.
How to Wear Oxfords: Tips and tricks to pull off the look with flair
Choose your height
Oxfords come in both flats and heels. You need to pick a pair that is comfortable for you. If you are making a switch from Converse or ballet slippers, a pair of sturdy Doc Martens may be your friend. On the other hand, if you live in pumps, give the heeled oxfords a go or try a wedge for a different look.
Choose your style
Heeled oxfords have a quirky, sexy vibe to them while flat oxfords are generally more casual. But a lot also depends upon the material and finish. Shiny, patent leather numbers will appear dressy regardless of heel height. Saddle shoe styles immediately add a playful touch to an outfit, as do polka dots or other printed patterns.
Choose the outfit
Oxfords cannot help but appear slightly masculine. Even with the heels and detailing, the shape of the shoe was inspired by menswear and the connotation stays. With that said, the oxford can help balance out an overly feminine blouse or skirt with tiered ruffles. The shoe can also be worn with skinny pants or boyfriend jeans. Roll the cuffs of your chinos and create a real vintage design.
You can play up the shoe with the addition of a fedora or vest. Create layered looks by adding pieces that play against each other, for example floral patterned dress with a wide leather belt or oxfords and a straw fedora. Perfect for summer, and then you can simply add a cardigan to take you into fall.
Choose your focus
Be aware that oxfords often take center stage. The fact that they demand a second look means the area surrounding the shoe will also be highlighted. Play up this fact by allowing your ankles to show when wearing your oxfords with pants. Slightly cropped styles, like pedal pushers, let the trendy shoe show off.
Five of the best women's oxfords:
1. Bass Glenbrook Atanado is a blast from the past that is all grown up. The two-and-a-half-inch heel on this women's dress shoe is not only stylish but ultra-comfortable. The memory foam footbed cushions your tootsies all day. The angular shaped heel contrasts with the classic saddle shoe look. Choose from black and white, fawn and cream, cloud and cream or white and cocoa colors.
2. Nicole Eager Oxford. This casual wing-tip with half-inch heel is fun to pair with any office attire or for a fresh new look for campus. The leather upper is perforated with tailored wingtip details. The lightly cushioned foot keeps it comfy all day.
3. Dr. Martens 1461 3 Eye Shoe . Of course Doc Martens have to be on this list. Recognized worldwide, these iconic shoe are durable, comfortable and now made with funky retro polka dots! Add some zing with black with white dots, white with black dots, pink or purple. You can find a pair that suits your own unique sensibilities.
4. Rockport Lianna Brogue Oxford. This cutie shootie has retro styling to spare. A high-quality oxford, it is made of full grain leather with leather lining. Not only is it an adorable choice that can be worn with numerous outfits, the Adidas adiprene at the heel and forefront provide extra comfort, and the rubber sole gives it dependable grip.
5. Aerosoles Pluminescent Oxford. This chic wedge-heel lace-up oxford is a dress shoe that delivers. The dual-sided goring panels give it a snug feel and create a flexible stride. The rubber sole offers traction so you can walk fast and sure.